Work the attitude, grab the eyeliner, big up the hair and wear your skinniest jeans because this season, punk is where it’s at…
This season, prepare to unleash your inner rock-chick. The autumn/winter shows were awash with a new punk revival. Everyone from Vivienne Westwood (the first lady of punk herself) to Dolce & Gabbana channelled their own brand of rebellion. To keep this look fresh try keeping it glamourous. Take inspiration from Balmain, who added a tough edge to glamorous floor length gowns. Fabric is key this autumn/winter, so try combining lace, plaid and velvet. Throw a little lady-like into the mix and you’re sure to nail this trend. Remember, this look is about breaking rules. So get inventive and don’t forget, make sure whatever you wear, you do it with some serious attitude! So, what are you waiting for? Come on feel the noise, girls rock your boys and get wild, wild, wild.
Get the Look for Less…
Go for off duty cool this season. Take inspiration from young London. Think Agyness Deyn, Pixie Geldof and Alexa Chung.
1. One easy and accessible way to buy into the new punk look is to invest in a good leather jacket. This short sleeved jacket (£120 from TopShop) is a real winner and perfect for those who are a little shy of going head-to-toe punk.
2. This ‘I love London’ tee is bang on trend and so versatile. Do dressed-down casual by teaming with a pair of skinnies or dress it up with a cute chiffon skirt and shoe boots. The cut of this top is great too. And the really good news? It is a credit-crunch friendly £16! (Rock t-shirt by TopShop)
3. Those of you lusting over Balmain’s autumn/winter show will fall in love with these look-at-me red skinnies (£40 TopShop). Simply team with ankle boots with a fringed trim and you couldn’t be more on trend.
I’m with the band…
Ready to hit the town? Team soft, feminine skirts and dresses with tough, edgy jackets for a modern twist. Rock star boyfriend optional.
Team rock t-shirts with feminine fabrics, such as chiffon for a modern take on the punk trend…
1. ‘Pretty Vacant’ Tee (£16 from TopShop) 2. Chiffon skirt (£35, also from TopShop)
3. For those of you who like your fashion a little more exclusive and bespoke but don’t want to pay the earth, should check out www.pretaportobello.com. Yes, everyone’s favourite London market has gone online (for those who didn’t know, where have you been?) Featuring the next-up-and-coming designers these could be true investment pieces. Not only can you buy this fab dress (£90) and vintage studded shoes (see number 5) but you can even try your hand at bartering for a bargain from the comfort of your armchair.
4. This jacket screams ‘I’m with the band’. Grab yours for £60 from TopShop
5. Not only are these red studded beauties right on trend, they’re one of a kind too! You can buy them from the ‘vintage’ section on Pretaportobello.com for £55.
6. This jacket is so kitsch it could have been designed for the album cover of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, but don’t worry you won’t be lonely for long in this beauty. My advice to you? Get it while you can. It’s sure to adorn the pages of most fashion magazines soon. (Military jacket, £40 from Dorothy Perkins)
7. Simply wear this scallop tiered dress with layers of long necklaces á la Alexa Chung. (£75 from TopShop)
Feeling brave? Then opt for this season’s coolest prints and all eyes will be on you…
1. Get this Emily and Fin dress from www.pretaportobello.com for £45
2. Not only does this ruffled dress nail the punk trend but it’s also in this season’s hottest print of the moment, tartan. (£49.99 from River Island)
3. Large dogtooth prints in punky colours such as hot pink and mint green are big news this autumn/winter. Channelled by big names such as Marc Jacobs, you can be sure they will be order of the day come those cold winter nights. (Skirt, £10 from Primark)
Shoes and Accessories:
Think heavy embellishments, studs and fringing and you won’t go far wrong…
1. Studded boots with fringed trim £120 by River Island.
2. Black suede boots with stud detail £124.99 by River Island;
3. Fringed bag £79.99 by River Island.
4. Red bag £12 by ASOS.com
5. Gold cuff £29 by Belle du Jour from www.pretaprotobello.com
With thanks to PRShots.com
Vogue.com (for pictures)
Trend Focus: 70s Folk and Gothic and much, much more!